Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Real Miracle

Well, the cat's out of the bag. A little less than six weeks ago, after nine months of fanfare, I reproduced. The good news is, my fears about not bonding with my daughter were unfounded (don't laugh, sometimes it really doesn't happen). She's only as big as a roasting chicken, and she's managed to make sloppy, grinning morons out of everyone who crosses her path. Pretty impressive really, considering she can scream in pitches only dogs can hear, and is capable of producing her weight in projectile filth every few hours. A little fuzz of hair, a set of tiny fingernails, and the ability to make little squeak noises go a long, long way.

Okay, dare I say it, the cheesy overstatement that everyone makes that I swore I'd avoid as a parent? Yup, she's a miracle. A year ago she wasn't, and now she is- ex nihilo personified. First babies are miracles, and they dumbfound their adoring parents on a daily basis.

The real miracle, however, are the children who come next. I'm sleep deprived, sore, and figurative language fails me miserably on this one. This job is hard. Damn hard. As much as I'm overwhelmed with awe at the little squirming thing I've produced, I'm positively gobsmacked that after all of this, anyone else ever chooses to have a second child. All babies are miracles, but the ones that get let into the house after all the bedlam of the inaugural baby are truly spectacular. Anyone who sneaks in after number two should be seen with even greater wonderment. Just a little reminder to any parents who've lost their sense of amazement after a few kids, from someone on the other side of the fence.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

I enjoyed reading your musings on early days of parenting and look forward to more observations about motherhood and miracles.