Tuesday, June 24, 2008

For George

As a kid, I used to sit up late on Sunday night and listen to comedy skits on the radio (yes, kiddies, I used a radio, and my pet dinosaur loved it too). When I was supposed to be finishing my homework or, God forbid, sleeping, I was filling my head with the words of modern philosophers, off-coloured sages who saw society with a critical eye and a sharp tongue. Of course George Carlin was among them (no self-respecting DJ would leave him out). I think, even twenty years later, if someone played George’s “Wonderful WINO” bit for me, I could probably still sing along. With his boundless energy, his general appreciation for silliness, and his beard, I think he reminded me a little of my dad…if my dad was the type to rant and swear in front of millions.

George’s wisdom followed me into my adulthood. I can remember watching his piece on acquiring “Stuff” while unpacking in a new house. I applauded when he appeared in Kevin Smith films, as an overly-ambitious Cardinal, then a hitchhiker with a plan, and then a grandfather willing to do even surrealist theatre for the love of his family. George’s mantra “I’m just looking for a little consistency, that’s all” stuck in my head as I tried to teach students about logical fallacies and forming decent arguments. Like most people, I still think of his list of things you can’t say in the media, and wonder why we’re so hung up on mere words. After spending a great deal of my life studying some of the greatest thinkers in the world, an old man with a grade nine education and a potty mouth seems to have proven what I’ve always thought- that good ideas and the ability to pull things apart don’t come with a fancy piece of paper. They come through a genuine desire to see things as they are, and what they could be.

And so, I raise a glass (or perhaps a middle finger) to George. Here’s hoping there’s such a thing as reincarnation.

No comments: